Many academic journals require figures in greyscale. This can be done relatively simply by printing to PDF as greyscale; however, this doesn’t give you a) a way to preview what the resulting figure will look like and b) much control over the process of desaturation. If you’re making figures in
R, this process is almost as easy as the more simplistic print to PDF method.
I am teaching online again and that means recording audio lectures. A lot has changed (or I perceive it to have changed) since the last time I did this so I endeavored to find a way to record/edit all my lectures on an iPad Pro. To be clear, I made this harder on myself by restricting everything to be done on an iPad. But I want something reasonably portable in case I need to record on the go.
Recently, I was asked by a reviewer to include a large number of regression results in a manuscript I am revising. In my experience, attempting to display more than a few regression results in tabular format is a fool’s errand so I went looking for a more visual means of delivering the content. My attempt at doing this is complicated by the estimation taking place in one piece of software (Stata) and visualization taking place in another ( R ).
I recently had the pleasure of writing a blog post for the London School of Economic’s US Centre Blog. It covers a recent publication in Public Budgeting and Finance on the implications of dimensions of urban sprawl on per capita public spending by local governments in the US. You can find more information about this piece here. See below for the full text of the post as well as a link to the original.